February 17, 2015

My New Book and Chess Tactics – Pin

A few months ago, I made the announcement that I would write a new book on “Psychology in Chess”, as I’ve been receiving a lot of questions from you on this topic.
Therefore, I’m very happy to announce that the book will be released this month and it will be named Champion Psychology:) Moreover, I’d like to share with you the cover image of the book; you can see it below:
Also, I thank everyone who has sent me their questions related to this topic. I’ve considered them all and answered them in my book.
I’ll let you know more details of the book in coming days, so stay tuned and catch our updates!
design1
Today, I’ve prepared a nice lesson for you. Although it is mainly for beginner-level players, any chess player at any level can study the lesson, recollect the basic ideas and refresh their mind. So let’s get started. :)
Chess is intellectual warfare. Here, though strategy plays a primary roletactics almost always finish the game.
For instance, I remember a famous quote that says:
“Chess is 99% tactics”. – Rudolph Teichmann
chess
Generally, in a game, players always think about what to do and how to do it. “What to do?” is answered by strategy and “How to do it?” is answered by tactics. A good tactical move can even turn the tables. Tactics can be classified into many themes.
  • Pin
  • Skewer
  • Fork
  • Discovered attack
  • Double attack
Today, we’ll study the theme “Pin”.
Example-1
Example-1
Now the Black queen is pinned by the rook. Black cannot move the queen because the king would be in check. This is an example of how the rook pins the queen on a file.
Example-2
Example-2
Now the rook on d4 is pinned diagonally by the White queen.
Example-3
Example-3
Here the White knight is pinned by the Black rook on the 1st rank.
Conclusion: any piece can be pinned, either diagonally or on a rank or file.
  • queen has the power of both the rook and the bishop, so it can pin diagonallyrank and file.
  • bishop pins diagonally and
  • rook pins on the rank and file.
The defensive power of a pinned piece is but imaginary”. – Nimzowitsch
Exercise-1: Level – Easy
Exercise-1
Black to play
Exercise-2: Level – Medium
Exercise-2
Black to play
Exercise-3: Level – Hard
Exercise-3
White to play
After calculating all possible variations, you can check the answers and download them here: LINK
P.S. Share this article with your friends if you enjoyed it. As I said, this is not only for beginners but any player can study it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment